Packing - Part 1

Ugh. I’m not good at packing. It takes me forever to decide what to bring, all the while questioning whether I’m taking too much or not enough, or the wrong things altogether. But here goes.

I start off with shoes. The weather forecast for Kathmandu shows it will be warm -- mid-to-high 70s F -- and rainy, so I pack two pairs of shoes for walking: tennis shoes and lightweight trail shoes. Given Kathmandu’s sporty atmosphere either will work for the city, and it’ll be good to have spare footwear in case one pair gets soaked. I’m also bringing a pair of flats to walk around in Bangkok or for when I don’t want to look too casual in Nepal.

Clothes: the hard part. While Kathmandu is accepting of the way tourists dress, it’s best women avoid tank tops, shorts or any revealing clothing.


I settle on a couple of pairs of slightly cropped lightweight jeans, a pair of very wide-legged (“Palazzo”) pants that look like a long skirt, a couple of long-sleeved but light tunic blouses I got in India and a couple of Western-style tops. I always bring a scarf: this light, gauzy one has traveled with me to India, Cambodia and Africa, so it’s coming along to Nepal as well.


For warmth, a sweatshirt I’ll wear on the plane, a cardigan and a rain jacket. If this isn’t enough - I’ll just HAVE to go shopping; it will hurt so good.

I ask Janella what she’s bringing. She looks at me, stunned.

“You’re packing already???”


Janella's packing


Dorota's shoes


Dorota's packing



No comments:

Post a Comment